Technology Specifications for Professional Education
In anticipation of specific requests for information on the level of equipment and types of software that meet the needs of entering and current professional education students, we provide the following recommendations.
While the expectations of the faculty for computing access can be met by many platforms coupled with a variety of software packages, students should consider when purchasing, that faculty and staff in the College of Education use iPads and Apple Macintosh computers, and that virtually all software, professional development, and technical assistance training provided through the college are Apple-based or compatible. The staff in our technology center, the Catalyst, will attempt to help students resolve compatibility issues, but are trained to provide technical assistance on Apple-based products.
Apple MacBook/MacBook Pro or iMac, and iPad Specifications
- iPad Gen 4, or iPad Air, Air 2, iPad Mini 2 or 3 with 32GB or greater
- Operating System: iOS 8.3 or greater
- Applications: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, GarageBand, iPhoto, and iMovie
- Word, PowerPoint and Excel (provided by University)
Apple Macintosh Hardware Specifications:
- Laptop/Desktop computer: Minimum - Intel i5, i7 processor or newer
- Hard Drive: 500 GB or greater, 256 GB or greater for Solid State drives
- RAM: 8 GB or greater
- Built-in Wireless (802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible)
Recommendations for Software (using the most current versions):
- Operating System: Latest Mac OS X 10.10 or greater
- Apple Macintosh Applications: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Photos, iMovie, GarageBand (these are included with the new computer)
- Microsoft Office 365 for Mac (provided by University)
- University-provided Anti-Virus Software at http://www.k-state.edu/its/antivirus/
Additional items to consider that would be very useful:
- Protection Plan (extending the hardware warranty of your computer)
- 8 GB or greater Flash Drive (for transferring and exchanging data)
- Portable external hard drive (for backup purposes)
- Carrying case and sleeve
- USB Printer w/USB cable
- Lock and cable kit to prevent theft
Additional assistance with Macintosh hardware and software is supported within the College of Education.
Windows PC Computer Hardware and Software Recommendations
Assistance with the Windows PC hardware and software is supported through the IT Help Desk in Hale Library.
Note: You may find it to your benefit to check with the K-State Computer Store for special pricing and packaging on your computer selection.