Building Leadership Licensure (Principal)
This endorsement qualifies you to be a building principal at the PK–12 level. You must have a graduate degree, complete the requirements for the Building Leadership program with a 3.25 or higher GPA, have a current Professional Teaching License and pass the PRAXIS subject assessment test. You must also have 3 years of experience in the school while on a Professional License. Like the Teaching License, you begin your Leadership career with a two-year Initial License.
Initial Building Leadership License (36 Credits)*
A. Leadership Core (9 credits)
- EDLEA 801 Ethical Dimensions of Educational Leadership (3 credits)
- EDLEA 810 Historical and Philosophical Analysis of Leadership in Education (3 credits)
- EDLEA 836 School-Community Relations (3 credits)
B. Student Learning Needs (6 credits)
- EDSP 833 886 Administration of Special Education Programs (3 credits) or
EDSP 886 Seminar in Special Education (3 credits)
- EDCEP 715 Principles of Assessment (3 credits) or
EDCEP 816 Research Methods (3 credits) or
EDLEA 886 Seminar in Research for School Leaders (3 credits)
C. Leadership Operations (21 credits)
- EDLEA 819 Introduction to Education Finance (3 credits)
- EDLEA 831 Education Law (3 credits)
- EDLEA 835 The Principalship (2 credits)
- EDLEA 855 Administrative Leadership in Curriculum (3 credits)
- EDLEA 865 Administrative Leadership in Staff Development (3 credits)
- EDLEA 885 Technology Leadership for Administrators (3 credits)
- EDLEA 889 Practicum in Educational Leadership (1 credit)
- EDLEA 910 Educational Human Resource Administration (3 credits)
Total Credits: 30-36
* All initial building leadership license candidates must complete the School Leaders Licensure Assessment through ETS (see below).
** Students are required to document a minimum of 150 clock hours guided field experience through the formal practicum and other coursework (i.e. additional practicum requirements are imbedded in many courses in the licensure sequence to assist in reaching the 150 clock hour requirement). A written log of practicum activities must be included with the student’s final portfolio assessment. The department requires that at least 25% of clock hours be spent in a diverse setting, defined as a site in which the ethnic/racial/economic diversity composition is 25% or greater.
Professional Building Leadership License
Applying for your license:
- After completing the coursework and practicum, applicants for the license must also meet the following KSDE requirements:
- Hold a currently valid Kansas professional teaching license or have successfully completed field experiences in schools over two semesters during the master’s program.
- Complete the master’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 3.25.
- Complete the Praxis exam for Building Leadership (See http://www.ets.org/praxis/ks/requirements - Administrator/School Leader). To have your score sent to Kansas State University, enter code #6334 when registering for the Praxis test.
- Have recent teaching experience or coursework (i.e., at least one year of teaching or 8 credit hours within the last six years).
- Verify five years of experience in a state-accredited school while holding a standard teaching or school specialist license and having achieved the professional-level license.
- The Form 1 application can be found on the KSDE website.
→ Step-by-step instructions for Form 1 (PDF)