1. K-State home
  2. »College of Education
  3. »Academic Programs
  4. »Master of Arts in Teaching
  5. »Licensure Information

College of Education

Licensure Information

Applying for Kansas Licensure

At the beginning of the spring semester, you should register with Career and Employment Services (CES) to obtain access to job listings, participate in interviews, and have your resume referred to employers. In addition to registering with CES, you should be familiar with services and resources offered by CES, including on-campus interviews/career fairs, job search workshops (including resume writing, interview skill development, and dining etiquette), individual advising, reference files (aka credential or placement files), school district/company information and application forms, and a wealth of other career library resources.

Completion of the MAT is partial fulfillment of the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) requirements for a two-year initial license. The KSDE requires that all teachers pass the PRAXIS II Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) Grades K-6 test as well as the PRAXIS II Elementary Education Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment test.

To receive a Kansas teaching license, those who have completed an appropriate teacher education program must submit an application for the initial teaching license through the Center for Student and Professional Services. As an applicant for a Kansas teaching license, you should be aware that the application requests information on prior felonies and diversion agreements. Conviction of certain misdemeanors and all felonies may result in denial of licensure. Fingerprints and a KBI/FBI background check are also required upon application for an initial Kansas teaching license. Questions about this should be addressed to the university’s licensing officer in 13 Bluemont Hall.

The KSDE license application form should be submitted on-line AFTER May 1 for May completers. 

Note: Make sure your OFFICIAL Praxis II score report(s) have been sent directly from ETS/Praxis to Kansas State University. You MUST have your official PLT and CIA reports with passing scores mailed to Kansas State University DIRECTLY from ETS/Praxis BEFORE your license application is accepted and processed. To verify your score report was mailed to K-State, look on your copy of the score report for the correct code. Check the "Score Recipient(s) Requested" box (on the left side). The Code # must be 6334 with the Recipient Name of Kansas State University. If the 6334 code is not listed, you must contact ETS/Praxis at www.ets.org/praxis to have an official score report mailed directly to K-State showing passing scores for the PLT and/or Content test(s).

Obtaining Licensure in Your State

Kansas is a part of National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) maintains reciprocal teacher certification agreements with all 50 states and US Territories.

Certification requirements for a state other than Kansas (PDF)

Points of Contact

Master of Arts in Teaching Program

Dr. Thomas S. Vontz
Professor and Director
203 Bluemont Hall

Curriculum and Instruction Graduate Programs

Dr. Kay Ann Taylor
Associate Professor and 
Graduate Program Coordinator
228 Bluemont Hall

College of Education
Field Experiences

Dr. David Allen
Associate Professor and
Director, Office of Field Experiences
246 Bluemont Hall

Department of Curriculum
and Instruction

Dr. F. Todd Goodson
Associate Professor and
Department Chair
261 Bluemont Hall

Global Campus Program

Rosemary Boggs
College of Education
Academic Program Coordinator

K-State Global Campus

1615 Anderson Avenue
Manhattan, KS 66502
1-800-622-2578 (toll free)

Kansas State University
Graduate School

103 Fairchild Hall
800-651-1816 (toll free)