StepAhead Provisional Endorsement in Special Education
The StepAhead Provisional Endorsement is for Secondary Education undergraduate students in the College of Education with an interest in special education. Students who want to begin teaching special education before completing a full licensure program can follow this plan, completing the required special education coursework and student teaching with a Special Education Practicum (during the final semester with their content area student teaching).
Individuals successfully completing this option will be eligible for provisional endorsement in high incidence secondary special education after accepting a special education teaching position.
- Special education is instruction specially designed to meet the unique needs of a child whose disability affects his or her educational performance or ability to learn in a regular classroom
- Special education teachers are trained to use specialized teaching methods and programs to meet specific learning needs of students with disabilities
Why Consider a Provisional Endorsement?
- You’re getting a “StepAhead” to a Master’s degree!
- It allows you to work as a special education teacher while finishing a Special Education endorsement for the State of Kansas.
- Better preparation for including students with special needs in your general education classroom.
- A special education background increases your opportunities of getting a teaching job!